Jan Daniluk (born 1984) is a graduate of the Faculty of History at the University of Gdańsk and presently a participant of a doctoral programme in history. The subject of the doctoral thesis currently in preparation under the guidance of Prof. Marek Andrzejewski, Ph.D, is „Miasto skoszarowane. Garnizon Gdańsk w latach 1939-1945 („A City in Barracks”. Gdańsk Garrison in 1939-1945”).
He has been a historian at the Research Department of the World War II Museum in Gdańsk since March 2015. He worked in the educational and research division of the Gdańsk branch office of the Institute of National Remembrance (2009-2015) and was associated with the ”Gdańsk Fortress” Cultural Park of City Fortifications (2005-2009; a full-time employee in 2008-2009). He collaborates with local non-governmental organisations, the community of the Tri-City guides and the city district councils to make the historical knowledge popular. Member of the K! Lauda fraternity.
Being a passionate researcher of the history of Gdańsk, mostly that of the end of 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, he is mainly concerned with the history of the Polish territories incorporated into the Third Reich (Pomorze Nadwiślańskie / Vistula Pomerania and Kujawy, Wielkopolska and the Land of Łódź, Upper Silesia and the Land of Ciechanów) during the Second World War and the history of a part of East Prussia in 1933-1945. In a wider perspective, he researches the history of SS, SA, the Third Reich police and the prisoners of war in German captivity. He is also interested in the history of colonialism, particularly the German one (1884-1919).
Scholarships and grants:
- 2011-2014 - grants for independent research for doctors and young scientists of UG (research stays in Freiburg i.Breisgau, Munich, Berlin and Potsdam)
- 2010 – a scholarship of the Herder Institute (a research stay in Marburg)
Membership in scientific associations, editorial committees etc.:
- Since 2014: Verein für corpsstudentische Geschichtsforschung e.V. (www.vfcg.eu)
Awards and distinctions:
- 2014 – The UG Chancellor Award (II Degree) for the best PhD candidate (the academic year 2012/2013)
- 2010 – Gdańsk Municipal Award (2nd place, ex equo) for the best diploma thesis devoted to Gdańsk